The comprehensive software suite for automation technology
CODESYS is a software platform for industrial automation technology. The platform is based on the CODESYS Development System, an IEC 61131-3 programming tool. It provides end users with extensive integrated solutions for convenient project engineering of automation applications. The associated goal is to provide practice-oriented support for users in the implementation of their tasks.
Open interfaces on the one hand and comprehensive security features on the other hand make CODESYS the ideal Industry 4.0 platform. The engineering of edge, fog or cloud controllers and the exchange of data in IIoT networks is standard functionality in CODESYS.
Device manufacturers use CODESYS for creating their own programmable and configurable automation components that they can scale with calculable effort thanks to the diverse functions of the system. Integrated products for the different levels of an automation system are the foundation of success for CODESYS. This tool covers project engineering, programming, operation on workstations, as well as execution, debugging of application code on the controller or drive, and evaluation of field devices.
Millions of CODESYS-compatible single devices, over 1,000 different device types from more than 400 manufacturers, and tens of thousands of CODESYS end users across the globe all prove that CODESYS is the leading manufacturer-independent IEC 61131-3 programming tool.
CODESYS – Advantages for end users
End users employ CODESYS for successful creation of simple and sophisticated automation applications for industrial controllers that are used in factories, mobile machines, power and building automation systems, as well as many other areas. Several features and properties of the system help in this task.
Everything is integrated in a single user interface:
- complete IEC 61131-3 programming system – from classic PLC programming to object-oriented controller programming
- extensive features for convenient project engineering and commissioning of automation applications, such as data monitoring, scanning for application errors (debugging), and changing the application during operation (online change)
- optional add-on modules for methodical application development: UML, version management, static code analysis, profiling, and test automation
- configuration and commissioning of the most important industrial fieldbus systems or manufacturer-specific I/O systems
- seamless integration of optional add-on components for project engineering: Visualization, motion control / CNC / robotics, safety modules
- installation, maintenance, and training required only for a single user interface: Minimization of engineering effort
Open selection for the next automation task:
- hundreds of automation devices from prestigious manufacturers programmable with the CODESYS Development System — all collected in the CODESYS Device Directory at codesys.net
- softPLC systems for standard platforms — available in the CODESYS Store
- all popular fieldbus systems — with integrated configurators and generally also with protocol stacks
- access to tested add-on tools and application libraries — available in CODESYS Store
- easy linking in existing development environments and processes — optional customer and application-specific consulting
Power and usability for effective implementation of complex automation projects:
Fast machine code for varyingly complex devices and applications, generated by industrially proven compilers.
Powerful tools for calculating 3D CNC / robotics, as well as 3D visualization (optionally integratable).
- easy-to-use editors, e.g. FBD or LD
- functional programming with many convenience functions
- object-oriented programming with interfaces, methods, attributes, classes, inheritance, and dynamic linking in all IEC 61131-3 implementation languages
- generic and specific I/O configurators
- powerful add-on tools for methodical software development
- fully developed concept for reuse and documentation of program code in libraries
- add-on product for automated generation of complete control applications from preconfigured modules (optionally integratable)
Reliable and widely used system for established industrial applications:
Globally established system platform:
- over 10,000 application developers in the field
- over 100,000 different applications
- programming interface for approx. 1,000 different industrial controllers and over 1,000,000 devices sold every year
Established use of CODESYS in applications with:
- 50,000 OPC elements
- 25 MB application source code
- 800 MB PLC data
- approx. 200 synchronized drives
- widely used in educational institutions: For training future technicians and engineers in schools and universities
- large global community of knowledge: Expert support for application development from third-party vendors, e.g. specially trained companies (CODESYS system partners such as LARRAIOZ) or independent programmers and consulting engineers, online forum for easy communication with other CODESYS users
- 3S-Smart Software Solutions — the company behind CODESYS
Sets milestones in automation technology — either alone or in research projects with other automation companies and universities. As a member of standardization committees, 3S-Smart Software Solutions makes sure that automation programmers benefit from progress (e.g. by taking advantage of current Internet technologies or innovations in information technology).
CODESYS – Advantages for device manufacturers
Provides the realization of intelligent automation devices with calculable resources and costs and high market acceptance: Manufacturers of intelligent components benefit from the extensive features of CODESYS in the development of their devices.
Easy adaptation to different system requirements and environments:
- product available as a modular single-source runtime system for different device platforms
- support for all common processors and operating systems for industrial systems
- projectable development expenses: Development of industrial controllers with pronounced technical characteristics by means of defined interfaces and qualified adaptation support
- numerous available reference systems and platforms (e.g. for popular ARM/Cortex or embedded systems)
- implementation of specific device properties by means of library modules (e.g. for own I/O functions)
- adaptation and extendability of the user interface by manufacturer-specific plug-in modules (e.g. templates, editors, configurators, and wizards)
- integration into existing system architectures by means of lean proprietary interfaces or standards, such as OPC / OPC UA
Integrated functions for practice-oriented automation devices:
- configuration of popular fieldbus systems, own I/O modules or drives (e.g. for CANopen, EtherCAT, or PROFINET)
- product option for creating and displaying practice-oriented operating interfaces (e.g. directly via device display, connected monitor, or web browser)
- numerous optional add-on products for fast scaling of the functional scope of the device (e.g. as motion controller, panel control, or communication gateway)
- pre-certified software products for extending the standard controller into a TÜV-certified safety controller compliant with IEC 61508 SIL2 or SIL3
- configuration and project engineering of industry-specific communication protocols (e.g. for building services control systems with BACnet)
- optional interface for integrating existing or generated C code
Reliable partner for successful automation devices:
- 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH — the company behind CODESYS: Product development by expert engineers and computer scientists
- practice-oriented support from experienced project developers in the development of automation devices — from the initial idea to its implementation and product maintenance
- fast response times to market demands with market-ready products (e.g. for flexible CNC controllers, integrated OPC UA servers, automated device and applications tests or for implementing TÜV-certified safety controllers)
- reliable maintenance, care, and quality assurance of all products and features by means of practical processes, ISO 9001-certified (since 2005)
- long-term and confidential cooperation with device manufacturers from different branches and regions
- high market acceptance of CODESYS-compatible automation devices by means of wide distribution among tens of thousands of users worldwide
- services for common product marketing (e.g. at trade fairs, events, and online)